Many houseplants and exterior plants are poisonous to your pets. If you believe your pet was poisoned by a plant, you should call your veterinarian immediately. In some cases, the negative effects may be mild, but in other cases, the negative effects could cause serious sickness or even death. Most animals do not like cayenne or citrus, so if you have toxic plants, you can use cayenne or lemon peel to deter them. However, it is always safer to get rid of the toxic plants or to keep them out of your pet’s reach.
While aloe vera is very beneficial to humans, it is very toxic to your cat and dog. Signs that your cat or dog ingested aloe vera include vomiting, diarrhea, change in urine color, tremors, and depression.
Belladonna Lily has a moderate to strong toxicity. Signs that your cat or dog ingested belladonna lily include abdominal pain, tremors, depression, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Elephant’s ear is a plant that you commonly see outside in southern states, but many people in northern states also grow it inside. The toxicity of elephant’s ear is moderate; your pet might vomit, have oral irritation and burning, or may excessively drool. This plant is toxic to cats, dogs, and birds.
Heart of Jesus and Heart leaf philodendron have moderate toxicity for cats and dogs. The symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, excessive drooling, and oral irritation and burning.
Jade plant has mild toxicity to cats and dogs and may cause your pet to vomit. Mother-in-law's tongue also has a mild toxicity that may cause nausea and diarrhea, in addition to vomiting.
Peace lily is another popular house plant that has mild toxicity for cats and dogs. Signs of ingestion include intense burning of the mouth, irritation of the mouth, and drooling.
The ever-popular Christmas plant, the Poinsettia, also has mild toxicity to both cats and dogs and is irritating to the mouth and stomach.
Houseplants Toxic to Birds
Many plants that are toxic to dogs and cats are also toxic to birds. If you have any of these plants, you should keep them out of reach of your four-legged friends, but also you should not have them in your house if you have a feathered, flying friend:
Amaryllis has a moderate to strong toxicity for birds, cats, and dogs. Your pet may exhibit abdominal pain, depression, hypersalivating, vomiting, diarrhea, and tremors.
Lilies of all types are toxic to birds. The most common indoor lily is a peace lily, which is also toxic to cats and dogs. Lilies cause severe irritation to a bird’s digestive tract and mouth.
Daffodils contain lycorine, which is highly toxic to birds and can be deadly. It may cause seizures and gastrointestinal issues.
Holly leaves and berries are poisonous to birds. Because of the colorful berries, birds might incorrectly consider this plant a tasty treat.
Ivy is another popular houseplant. However, ivies, including English ivy, cause convulsions, gastrointestinal issues, and skin irritation in birds. It can even be deadly.
To keep your pets safe, be sure to keep these plants (and other toxic plants) out of your pet's reach. If you're not sure whether or not your plant is toxic, consult with your veterinarian.